Branding, or brand marketing, is a basic concept in marketing. Essentially, branding involves marketing materials and tactics that help to build and maintain an image with a company’s, or website’s, target market. Branding on the Web is about building recognition of a website, and giving visitors or customers a specific feeling or attitude about the site, based on the message the owner wants to convey. Examples of online branding materials include:
1. A website’s official name.
2. A domain name.
3. A logo.
4. A color scheme.
5. Packaging materials on any products being sold.
6. Images on banner ads for the site.
7. A site slogan.
Building brand recognition, even online where branding materials can be in front of a target market regularly, takes time. Here are some keys to effective branding online:
1. Ensure that all online branding elements actually appeal to the target market.
2. Online branding materials should be memorable, and should portray the company’s intended image.
3. A website’s message to its target audience should be consistent throughout all of its branding materials.
Building a brand image for a website or online business isn’t enough. A webmaster or business owner has to constantly reinforce their branding efforts with their target market. Here are some Internet marketing tactics that help to reinforce brand marketing efforts:
1. Online Advertising (Using the company logo, slogan, color scheme, and message in advertisements when possible keeps a brand visually in front of members of a target market.)
2. Email Marketing (Including a logo and slogan on all email correspondence reinforces branding, while regular communication with members of a target market keeps that message fresh in their minds.)
3. Online PR (Announcing regular news related to a website through press releases or blogging can keep a website’s name and message in front of the target audience. It also provides a way to build and maintain trust in a brand by letting webmasters and online business owners display their expertise in the niche through blog posts and press release quotes.)