A strong email list is the equivalent of marketing gold. Email marketing is one of the most effective methods of direct marketing at your disposal. A large, highly-targeted list can ring up sales every time you send out an email. But it’s all about the list. Without a great list, you’ll never be effective with email marketing.
So, what can you do to build a strong email list? Here are some easy-to-follow tips to get you started.
• Place sign up forms above the fold—How can you expect anyone to subscribe to your email list if you bury the sign up form in the bottom corner of the page? If you’re truly serious about growing your list, you need to place your sign up graphic on the right side of your page above the fold. An eye-catching signup graphic located in the top right will immediately grab visitors’ attention, making it clear they should signup for your list.
• Place sign up forms on every page—If you’ve done your job with optimizing each page on your site for relevant keywords, visitors are going to be entering your site through many different pages, not just your homepage. That’s why it’s vital that you have the email list sign up form on every single page of your website. This way, no matter how or where someone arrives on your site, they’ll have the chance to join your list.
• Make sign up fast and easy—Don’t make signing up for your email list a 10 step process. Online users are highly impatient, and it’s your job to get them signed up quickly and easily. To do this, you should avoid asking for too much information and keep the signup options to a minimum. The easier it is to sign up, the more conversions you’ll achieve.
• Offer an incentive for signing up—Free eBooks, whitepapers, video tutorials, product demos, and other similar giveaways are some of the most effective tools for soliciting sign ups to your list. It’s as simple as posting a graphic on the top right of your website that says “Get your FREE copy of “10 Steps for Training Your Dog” when you join our email list today!” People love free stuff, and if the giveaway is appealing enough, they’ll certainly join your email list to receive it.
• Have print sign up lists at events you attend—So far, we’ve only talked about attracting more sign ups online, but don’t ignore other real world opportunities to build your email list. If you have a bricks and mortar store, you can apply the same free gift concept by having shoppers complete a short sign up sheet and giving them a gift for doing so. Or, if you attend conferences and other industry events, simply have a sign up sheet at your booth.
• Ask for email sign up at checkout—Whenever customers make a purchase online, have a simple box customers can check if they want to subscribe to your email list. Make sure the sign up call to action is enticing enough to attract their attention (e.g. YES, I want to join your email list so I can receive special discounts and advanced notice of big sales!).
• Ask your readers to tell their friends—Place a simple call to action in your emails that asks your subscribers to tell their friends about your newsletter. Have an option in the email that makes it easy for your readers to forward your messages to their friends.
Do you use email marketing for your business? Share your experiences with us in the replies.