With the recent buzz of “superfoods” resurfacing all over the internet, you may be wondering where you can find one such superfood. If you’re unfamiliar with the term, a superfood is an extremely nutritious food that is beneficial to your overall health. Some claim that by eating a specific superfood every day, one can stay active and healthy for longer. While it has not yet been actually proven that just one, single food has the ability to keep someone alert and healthy all on its own, it is true that there are foods out there known to optimize health and brain functioning. It’s never too late to begin eating healthy, so if you’re looking to make a positive change in your diet, conduct some research on foods that will keep your body and brain fresh and young.
The following foods can help protect your brain and keep you healthy:
- Nuts and seeds— Nuts and seeds are especially good for your brain because they contain plenty of the amino acid arginine, which is a chemical that stimulates the pituitary gland at the base of the brain when ingested. The pituitary gland then releases the growth hormone, a hormone that rapidly declines after the age of 35. Eat lots of nuts and seeds daily in order to keep your brain young. Peanuts and almonds are just two examples of nuts that are great for your brain’s health.
- Berries— Berries, especially blueberries, help prevent the brain from undergoing memory loss related to age. This is because these fruits contain plenty of antioxidants which fight off free radicals. Free radicals are naturally occurring, highly reactive forms of oxygen that can react with other chemicals in the body which create harmful substances to the brain.
- Fish— The fatty acid contained in fish has been proven to help avert memory loss, Alzheimer’s, and dementia. Salmon and trout are two fish with plenty of fatty acids present. If you’re not fond of fish, mussels are another type of seafood packed with fatty acids. You can also always purchase fish oil pills from your local drugstore. These pills are chockfull with not only brain boosters, but are great for your skin, hair, and nails as well.
- Avocados— Avocados are not only super healthy for your brain in many different ways, but they have countless great health benefits for the other parts of your body as well. For one, avocados contain fatty acids which help protect neurons and prevent memory deterioration, as stated above. They also have Oleic acid, an important chemical in forming the myelin sheath of the neurons in your brain. The myelin sheath plays an important role in sending signals from one neuron to the next, and healthy myelin sheath means faster signals and quicker thinking. Lastly, avocados contain Vitamin C, a vitamin that fights free radicals and aids in norepinephrine syntheses, as well as Folate, a substance that helps daily cell production.
Stay away from:
- Too many sugary sweets
- Foods with saturated and trans fat
- Fried foods
How many of these healthy foods have you been eating regularly? Tell us about it by leaving a comment below!
Join the discussion