If you’re constantly on the go, you know just how tiring and stressful business travel can be. If you aren’t careful, you can find yourself burned out while on the road. Needless to say, that’s not good for you or your business.
So, what can you do to make sure you stay sharp while constantly traveling for business? Here are some tips that will keep your mind sharp and your body refreshed while you’re on the road.
- Eat right—When you’re constantly running, it’s easy to fall into the habit of grabbing some fast food or munching on some snacks. While this might satisfy your hunger, it won’t give you the energy you need to keep performing at a high level. In fact, it does the complete opposite.
That’s why it’s so important to eat right when you’re traveling. Make sure you enjoy plenty of fruits and vegetables as these are great brain foods that keep your mind sharp. You should also limit the sodas you drink, and make sure to drink plenty of water, as a hydrated body is more energetic.
- Give yourself time to rest off the plane—A lot of travelers make the mistake of just trying to catch a little bit of sleep during the flight. A quick nap on the plane won’t recharge your body like a good night’s sleep in an actual bed will. Make sure you get a good night’s sleep at home (or in your hotel) before you get on your flight. This way, you can devote the time on the flight to other tasks, and you won’t get off the plane looking like you just rolled out of bed.
- Get rid of the clutter—If you travel a lot, it can be easy for your briefcase to start filling up with a bunch of papers, folders, CDs, and other junk. Physical clutter leads to a cluttered mind. It causes you to be disorganized and stressed out. So, before you travel, take the time to clean out your briefcase, getting rid of anything you won’t need for your trip.
- Replace papers with digital documents—This goes hand-in-hand with the last tip. Reduce your clutter by replacing papers with digital documents whenever possible. You can store a lot of information on a tiny USB drive, saving you space and helping you stay more organized.
- Read a book—Reading stimulates the mind. It’s like a mental workout. It also allows you to kind of get away from the real world for a little while, taking your mind off the things that are stressing you out. Spending a little time during your flight reading a book can strengthen your mind and make the flight go by a little faster.
- Engage in a conversation—Brain fitness experts also say that interacting with others stimulates the brain and keeps it sharp. So, while you’re on your flight, you might try striking up a conversation with one of your neighbors. This will keep your mind sharp, and you could even make a new friend or a business contact.
Do you travel a lot for business purposes? What do you do to stay sharp and to avoid burnout? Share your best tips by leaving a commen