Ultimate Directory of Geography Resources
Modern geography teachers and students have a lot of resources because the Internet offers a wealth of material. There are maps, statistical information, games, educational resources, and lesson plans. However, it’s not easy to find the best resources at a single place. Here then is the ultimate directory of geography resources.
Maps & Map Collections
- Library of Congress Maps: A place to find historical maps like Civil War maps,. Louisiana Purchase maps, National Parks, and more.
- The National Map: Comprehensive collection of topographical maps of the United States.
- Geography & Map Reading Room: Extensive collection of atlases and maps.
- National Atlas: Provides past and present topographical maps of the United States.
- Australia: An overview of Australia’s geography with maps of states and territories.
- African Maps: A list of links to find different maps of Africa.
- Perry-Castañeda Library Map Collection: Extensive list of historical and political maps.
- Hargrett Rare Library Map Collection: Rare maps including ones of Colonial America and pre-Civil War times.
- USGS Maps, Imagery, and Publications: Includes maps and satellite images.
- David Rumsey's Historical Map Collection: Comprehensive collection of maps, historical maps, and a variety of projections.
Government & Statistical Information
- CIA World Fact Book: Comprehensive information on the countries of the world.
- Geographic Names: A Federal Board set up to maintain standard usage of geographic names.
- American Geography: Covers many aspects of American geography including the physical environment, foundations of human activities, the Deep South, the Southern Coastlands, and more.
- Geographic Data: Online portal which shares geographic data, online services, and maps.
- Geographical Information: A collection of links to cartography, flags, flags, time information, and others.
- United Kingdom: Provides geographical statistics of the UK.
- BLS: United States labor statistics categorized by geography.
- Matching Game: Try to match the capitals and countries.
- Holey Moley: Learn about world geography by playing this fun game.
- Jigsaws: Take this challenge to see how well you know about the countries.
- Geography Games: A collection of geography games for kids.
- National Geographic: Go on an African Adventure or train for the GeoBee!
- Name That State: How well do you know the states?
- GeoNet: Challenging game that tests your knowledge to the max!
- Map Games: Great collection of games related to maps.
- Crosswords: Try these crossword puzzles to test your geographical knowledge.
- Water Erosion: A look at the different types of water erosion.
- Global Climate Change: Explore the earth’s climate.
- Climate Change: Discusses the problems of changes in climate.
- Mapping: Professor Krygier’s webpage on mapping.
- Landforms: A list of links on the subject of landforms.
- World Population Clock: Up-to-date count of the latest human population figure.
- The Water Cycle: A place to learn all about the workings of the water cycle.
- Rivers: A place to learn all about rivers.
- Volcano Page: Comprehensive resource center on volcanoes.
- Internet Resources for Geography: University of Delaware's geography page.
Lesson Plans & Teaching Materials
- The World on a String: Teaches students about how the countries of the world are interconnected.
- 5 Themes: Some ideas for teaching the five themes of geography.
- Discovery Education: Many lesson plans for geography teachers.
- Lesson Plans: Extensive collection of geography lesson plans covering various topics.
- Water: A list of lesson plans for students from K-5 up to K-12.
- Rivers & Coasts: Use this interactive lesson to teach students about rivers and coasts.
- Mudpile Mountain: Teaches students about erosion.
- Giligan’s Island: Simple lesson plan to teach students about topographical maps.
- Google Earth: A lesson to show students how to use Google Earth.