If you want to make money blogging, you have quite a few options to make that happen. You might work with CPM, CPA or CPC ad networks. You might sell private ads on your blog. You could sell other people’s products through affiliate links. But have you thought about selling your own information products (or services) through your blog? If you’re not, you might be missing out on some serious income opportunities.
Let’s talk about why it can be a good idea to sell your own products as a way to monetize your blog.
Why Sell Your Own Products Through Your Blog?
- You might collect more per sale than you do with affiliate product sales.
- You can launch your own affiliate program and have others sell for you.
- You have more quality control over what’s being promoted on your blog.
- Your links lead to your own conversions instead of someone else’s.
- Your blog already provides a highly targeted audience to sell to.
- You can build a residual income stream that doesn’t rely on the stability of any third party service, seller, or network.
- Your products and services can lead to increased authority status, and therefore increased traffic to your blog on top of the sales benefits.
Beyond Products: Sell Services Through Your Blog to Make More Money
When we think of selling something of your own as a way to monetize your blog, we tend to think of information products like e-books. But you can also sell services. For example, many freelance professionals have blogs these days. The blogs are platform pieces that showcase someone’s area of expertise, attract prospects, and convince people the freelancer is credible enough to hire.
There are other types of services you can sell too. For example, it’s what we do here at DirJournal.com. We sell directory submissions — an Internet marketing and traffic-building service. Blogs support the income stream and vice-versa.
You could do something similar in your niche. For example, if you run a health blog you might attach a directory of healthcare providers as a resource for readers, a promotional tool for those providers, and an income stream for your blog. If you work in the music niche, you might have a band or record label directory.
Remember, this is just one example of the many services you could monetize. Here’s a bigger list of products and services you could use to make money blogging.
10 Products and Services You Can Sell Through Your Blog
- Books (if you’re an author)
- Online courses
- Webinar access
- Member-exclusive content
- Freelance services (writing, designing, coding, SEO work, consulting, etc.)
- Software / online tools
- Coaching services in your area of expertise
- Directory submissions
There’s nothing wrong with selling ads or partnering with ad networks or promoting affiliate products. But if you think your blog has the potential to earn even more, consider selling some products or services of your own. Many bloggers never figure out how to best monetize their blogs. You don’t have to be one of them. Making more money blogging starts with knowing your options.