The New Year is the perfect time to make changes in our lives. We can set new goals and try to improve our situations. Today let’s take a look at some common areas of self improvement people pursue as New Year’s resolutions and some ways you can make real changes in your own life.
Here are five potential paths to self improvement you could pursue in the New Year and some tips and examples to point you in the right direction.
1. Get a new job or a promotion.
Maybe you aren’t earning enough money. Perhaps you just don’t like your current employer or line of work. Here are some things to consider if this year feels like the right time for a change in your career.
- Consider going back to school if you want to change your entire career path.
- Focus on building confidence, either to ask for a raise or succeed in interviews.
- Express an interest in a new position at work — you may be looked over if no one knows you’re interested.
2. Start a business.
Maybe you’re just tired of the 9-to-5 grind as a whole and you’d like to start working for yourself in the New Year. Here are a few tips if you want to make that happen.
- Ideally, save to cover six months of expenses before quitting your current job.
- Visit your local SCORE chapter or another mentoring program for advice early on.
- Come up with a thorough business plan, especially if you’ll seek financing.
3. Improve your health.
Self improvement is about more than financial changes. Your health is a major factor in living a happy life too. So why not work to become healthier in the New Year? Here are a few ways you can do that.
- If you’re a smoker, stop smoking even if it means taking things slowly.
- Start a new exercise regimen, even if it’s just a daily stroll to get you started.
- Look for ways to make your favorite recipes healthier, and carry those tactics into your everyday cooking without having to sacrifice flavor or go on a fad diet.
4. Improve your relationships.
Self improvement is as much about how you relate to others as what you do for yourself. So this year see if there are things you can do to improve your relationships in your daily life. For example, you might do one of the following.
- Start spending time with the kids in the evening, such as reading to them before bed.
- Get in touch with friends or family members you haven’t talked to in a while.
- Plan date nights with your spouse, where you’ll get a baby sitter once in a while to enjoy some time alone.
5. Cut down on stress.
Stress can wear you down over time. It can affect your health and your mood. Some of the things we’ve already talked about might help you decrease stress as a side effect, but here are some things you can do to more directly address the problem.
- Write down your top three causes of negative stress, and vow to deal with them.
- Try a new relaxation technique — yoga, deep breathing, meditation, etc.
- If you’re trying to do too much, cut back on your commitments — it’s okay to say “no.”
Everyone’s self improvement will be different because we all have different areas of our lives that we feel could be better. What are yours? What can you do about them as you ease into the New Year? Share your own self-improvement tips and ideas in the comments below or tell us how you plan to improve your life in coming months.